Earn Extra Money Helping Your Community, Over 150 Positions available!
The City of Maricopa will conduct a Special Census starting October 1, 2015. We know Maricopa has grown and an updated population count will allow the City to keep Maricopa tax dollars in Maricopa to provide City services.
Special Census Enumerators:
- Earn $13.00 per hour, plus mileage and paid training.
- Work as much as you like, daytime, evenings or weekend.
On May 19, 2015, the Mayor and City Council approved Ordinances 15-06 and 15-07 amending the City's Zoning Map to include two new Zoning Overlay Districts, Mixed Use – Heritage (MU-H) and Transportation Corridor (TC). All ordinances are effective 30 days after adoption; thereby the Zoning Overlays are now effective. The Zoning Overlays are intended to architecturally enhance the main thoroughfares of the City and broaden opportunities for reinvestment within the Heritage District Redevelopment Area.
The City of Maricopa's annual Independence Day celebration is this Saturday from 6-10 p.m., at Copper Sky Regional Park. Enjoy entertainment, activities for the entire family, great food vendors and of course a grand display of colorful fireworks.
As monsoon season quickly approaches the City of Maricopa Fire Department would like to remind residents to exercise safety when bad weather hits. It is not uncommon for major dust storms to move through the City of Maricopa during monsoon season.
If you find yourself driving during a dust or monsoon storm, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Turn on your headlights and slow down!
- If you can safely avoid it, do not enter a dust storm.
- If your visibility is impeded by heavy rain or dust, slowly pull off to the side of the road as far to the right as possible. Turn off the car and headlights including emergency flashers, set the parking brake and keep your foot off the brake pedal and keep your seatbelt on.
- Pay attention to hazard signs and roadblocks. If you see a sign that says "Do Not Cross When Flooded," take it seriously and find another way.
- Don't cross rain-swollen washes. You could get caught in a flash flood.
Remember always buckle up and drive safe!
The Maricopa Police Department urges you to put safety first when celebrating this Fourth of July.
Section 10-1-6 of the Maricopa City states: It is unlawful for any reason within the limits of the City to blast or use powder, fireworks or other explosives without a written permit from the City or the Fire Chief, and then only upon the terms and conditions set forth therein.
What does this mean?
- Sparklers and Poppers are the only legal fireworks that can be used in the City. It should be noted sparklers burn at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, which could cause serious burns and injuries if used improperly.
- You may see tents selling firework in the City and around the valley, the sale of fireworks is legal in Arizona, however you should check with your location Police or Sheriff’s office on city codes or town ordinances.
- Also, if caught using fireworks in violation of city code, you could be found guilty of a class one misdemeanor and face a fine.
The ABC’s of Water Safety
Child drownings are a leading cause of injury and death. Please take the time to watch these short videos put together by the Maricopa Fire Department on the ABC’s of Water Safety:
A = Adult Supervision
Chipotle Mexican Grill is the latest business to open in the Maricopa Station Shopping Center. Vice Mayor Marvin Brown, Councilmembers Peggy Chapados and City Manager Gregory Rose all participated in the ceremonial ribbon cutting marking the opening of the new business. Chipotle joins Sport Clips, Jersey Mike’s Subs and Starbucks in the shopping center at 347 and Smith Enke Rd. Zoyo Yogurt is also opening there this summer. Chipotle will be open from 11am-10pm daily.
130 swimmers jumped into the water at the Copper Sky Aquatic Center joining others from around the world in a world record attempt forThe World's Largest Swimming Lesson™. We should find out in a couple months if the record was broken. Check out this video shot at the event: