To provide quality service to enable people to lead healthier, more secure, independent and productive lives; treat all people fairly, promoting dignity and self-respect; and administer public resources in a fiscally responsible and ethical manner.
The City of Maricopa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Management’s vision is “to be open, responsive and accountable while serving the public with integrity.”
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required, assigned, and expected commensurate with the administrative needs of a newly incorporated city.
Under supervision, the Parks Maintenance Worker will perform various park maintenance tasks. This position will report to the Crew Leader and will be responsible for adhering to maintenance and safety standards that strengthen the community image and sense of place in all City Parks. The Parks Maintenance Worker will possess a strong orientation towards customer service, a stewardship philosophy toward ecosystem management, and will be committed to professional development in parks maintenance.
Essential Duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
- Maintains irrigation systems, including timers, sprinkler heads, main lines, audits, clock programing and general maintenance repairs.
- Turf management such as mowing, aerating, fertilizing, top dressing, edging and weed spraying.
- Maintains athletic activity areas (dragging, nail dragging, prepping), maintain fences, benches, drinking fountains, sidewalks, restrooms and general repairs.
- Maintains park by blowing, trash pick-up, painting, graffiti and power washing facilities.
- Maintains and repairs playground equipment (including safety checks).
- Performs equipment and vehicle inspections.
- Cleans and removes litter from parks, parking lot, and other public areas.
- Operates and/or drives a variety of light and heavy equipment as directed.
- Inspects and repairs tennis and basketball courts (including safety checks).
- Opens and locks public facilities as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position requires High School diploma or equivalent. Minimum of one (1) year experience in park and landscape maintenance. Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license. Position requires working on evenings, weekends, some holidays and special events.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification and First Aid Course certifications
- Knowledge and understanding of current Parks and Recreation principles and trends
- Previous Public Sector experience
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job, may be substituted for evaluation at the discretion of city management.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- City policies and procedures
- Park maintenance policy and procedures
- Tools and landscaping equipment used in parks and grounds maintenance
- Federal, state and City safety rules and regulations
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Use a tape measure
- Perform acreage calculations
- Perform square footage calculations
- Perform water calculations
Physical Ability: Position typically requires: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, repetitive motions. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Project Management: Tasks require the ability to schedule, coordinate, and manage various projects of varying degrees of difficulty, size and complexity.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials: Tasks require the ability to operate, maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials, commensurate with duties of the position.
Social and Interpersonal Communication Skills: Position requires professional social and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to function in a major organizational unit requiring significant internal and external interaction.
Reasoning: Position requires functional reasoning skills enabling the analysis of major problems that necessitate complex planning for interrelated activities that can span one or several work units. Position requires situational reasoning skills allowing for the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and innovation in situations involving broader aspects of the organization.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change.