To provide quality service to enable people to lead healthier, more secure, independent and productive lives; treat all people fairly, promoting dignity and self-respect; and administer public resources in a fiscally responsible and ethical manner.
Director of Community Services
Duties involve interaction with others outside the organization on key organizational and departmental issues and require exercising participative management skills, high levels of negotiation, conflict management, and the ability to reach consensus on complex issues to achieve organizational goals and objectives. The Director of Community Services exercises considerable independence in carrying out policy decisions and departmental goals under general direction of the Assistant City Manager.
Community Services Director
Salary: $93,364 - $128,703
*Plus excellent benefit package
Position is open until filled with a first review on:
Monday, March 10, 2014 or until a suitable amount of qualified candidates have been received.
A Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, area of assignment, Business Administration or related field is required. A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in a related field is required, with the majority in the public sector. Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona driver s license.
Extensive experience in developing and directing a parks, recreation, and library system in a municipal government is desired with preference given to candidates with this experience in a high-growth municipality. Extensive experience administering a budget for parks, recreation and library programs in a municipal government.
- A Master’s Degree in Public Administration, area of assignment, Business Administration or related field;
- Seven (7) to (10) ten years of related experience in supervisory role;
- Certified Park and Recreation Professional;
- Experience with youth, adult, and senior recreational programming for the development of a diverse community;
- Experience in managing the development and implementation of significant parks and recreation facilities (i.e., recreational centers, sports complexes, aquatic centers) and coordinating public facility construction projects.
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job, may be substituted for evaluation at the discretion of city management.
It is preferred that all members of the City Manager’s Executive Staff, which includes Department Directors, establish residency in the City of Maricopa within six months of appointment or promotion and maintain residency during their term of employment.
Essential Duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
- Plans, organizes and directs the activities and staff of the City's Department of Community Services which includes Parks, Recreation, Libraries, and special events.
- Monitors, evaluates, assists, directs studies and makes recommendations in order to promote maximum efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery and allocations of resources.
- Plans, develops and directs the implementation of new programs and special projects.
- Oversees and directs the development and administration of the Community Services Department annual budget, capital improvement budget, grant funds, and self-sustaining budgets.
- Directs personnel; oversees and participates in the development of all divisions’ work plans; assigns work activities, projects, and programs; monitors workflow; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures; monitors and reports on activities; evaluates personnel and implements discipline and termination procedures and forecasts needs.
- Plans and directs park, recreation, and library facility acquisition, development, maintenance and improvement.
- Develops and reviews the effectiveness of operational policies and procedures, oversees application of the City policies and guidelines and researches and recommends new ones as needed.
- Ensures compliance with the City Code, City ordinances, federal and state laws, policies and guidelines, maintains knowledge of current legislation and conducts on-going research.
- Prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence, provides recommendations and makes presentations before the City Council and other boards, commissions and community organizations.
- Fosters relationships with community representatives to assess departmental needs and to evaluate the effectiveness of recreational, cultural, civic and social programs and services.
- Represents the Community Services Department to elected officials, citizen groups, other city departments, school districts, other government entities and organizations and through participation in professional organizations and community groups; acts as liaison to advisory committees as assigned regarding the development, operation, and improvement of departmental programs and activities.
- Acts as a member of the City executive management team and liaison with other department heads, internal committees and external agencies to establish policies and implement new programs.
- Attends conferences and meetings to remain informed of trends, practices and issues affecting the department.
- Participates in the negotiation of contracts and intergovernmental agreements with service providers and governmental agencies for the goods and services utilized by the department.
- Oversees the citizen participation process in the development of new parks, recreation and library facilities and resolves complex and/or sensitive citizen issues.
- Provides highly responsible and complex support to the Assistant City Manager and City Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Cover Letter
- Resume detailing work and school history for the past seven (7) years
- Four (4) work related references (please include email addresses)
- Salary history for the past seven (7) years