With ADOT's State Route 347 at Union Pacific Railroad project well underway, this page will provide local news and information related to the project to help keep residents informed. If you have any questions or concerns about the project, please call our Overpass Tracker Hotline at 520-316-6910.
SR 347 is Maricopa's main transportation corridor through the community, serving as a regional connector to major employment and recreation areas. Traffic averages over 31,000 vehicles per day and future (2040) projections show over 60,000 vehicles per day. Just south of the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway, SR 347 crosses the existing UPRR where there are currently 40 to 60 trains per day; the UPRR has plans to expand service, which would increase train traffic upwards of 100 trains per day. Additionally, the Amtrak station is located just east of the intersection and vehicular traffic is routinely delayed for its passenger operations.
ADOT, in conjunction with FHWA and the City of Maricopa, completed a study to evaluate alternatives and identify improvements to access, capacity and traffic operations through 2040. The study evaluated a future grade separation (bridge) to replace the existing at-grade intersection of SR 347 at the Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR) track.
For full details, including public meeting schedules, documents, and maps, please visit ADOT's State Route 347 at Union Pacific Railroad project page.
View a collection of videos from ADOT showing various route simulations of proposed overpass.
News & Updates
Three Intersections to Close Overnight this Week
The Arizona Department of Transportation will be carrying out overnight closures of three intersections in Maricopa this week.
These will be full closures of each intersection during the following times:
Hathaway Avenue and SR 347 Intersection – The closure will be from 9:00 PM Wednesday, May 15, to 5:00 AM Thursday, May 16.
- Detour for southbound SR 347 traffic: Drive west on Edison Road to Wilson Avenue. Travel south on Wilson Avenue to Garvey Road, and then proceed eastbound on Garvey Road to re-enter southbound SR 347.
- Detour for northbound SR 347 traffic: Drive west on Garvey Avenue to Wilson Avenue. Travel north on Wilson Avenue to Edison Road, and then proceed eastbound on Edison Road to re-enter northbound SR 347.
Honeycutt Road and Plainview Street intersection – The closure will also be from 9:00 PM Wednesday, May 15, to 5:00 AM Thursday, May 16.
- Detour: Use Maricopa Groves Parkway to access Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway (MCGH).
Alterra Parkway and SR 347 intersection – The closure will be from 9:00 PM Thursday, May 16, to 5:00 AM Friday, May 17.
- Detour for southbound SR 347 traffic: From SR 347, drive southeast on MCGH to Porter Road. Travel south on Porter Road to Farrell Road, and then use westbound Farrell Road to re-connect to SR 347.
- Detour for northbound SR 347 traffic: Drive east on Farrell Road to Porter Road. Travel north on Porter Road to access SR 347 from MCGH.
Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors.
Head to www.OverpassTracker.com for an overview of the project, frequent updates on traffic impacts, project timelines, maps and videos of what the project will look like when complete. The City of Maricopa has also established a 24/7 Hotline for you to call and get answers to more specific questions or concerns at (520) 316-6910.