With ADOT's State Route 347 at Union Pacific Railroad project well underway, this page will provide local news and information related to the project to help keep residents informed. If you have any questions or concerns about the project, please call our Overpass Tracker Hotline at 520-316-6910.
SR 347 is Maricopa's main transportation corridor through the community, serving as a regional connector to major employment and recreation areas. Traffic averages over 31,000 vehicles per day and future (2040) projections show over 60,000 vehicles per day. Just south of the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway, SR 347 crosses the existing UPRR where there are currently 40 to 60 trains per day; the UPRR has plans to expand service, which would increase train traffic upwards of 100 trains per day. Additionally, the Amtrak station is located just east of the intersection and vehicular traffic is routinely delayed for its passenger operations.
ADOT, in conjunction with FHWA and the City of Maricopa, completed a study to evaluate alternatives and identify improvements to access, capacity and traffic operations through 2040. The study evaluated a future grade separation (bridge) to replace the existing at-grade intersection of SR 347 at the Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR) track.
For full details, including public meeting schedules, documents, and maps, please visit ADOT's State Route 347 at Union Pacific Railroad project page.
View a collection of videos from ADOT showing various route simulations of proposed overpass.
News & Updates
MCGH to Close Overnight for Five Days
The Arizona Department of Transportation advises drivers who use Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway (MCGH) to plan for overnight road closures for five days beginning June 4 at 9:00 PM as work continues on the State Route 347 overpass project in Maricopa.
MCGH is scheduled to close in both directions between SR 347 and Pershing Street during the following dates and times:
- 9:00 PM Tuesday, June 4 to 5:00 AM Wednesday, June 5
- 9:00 PM Wednesday, June 5 to 5:00 AM Thursday, June 6
- 9:00 PM Thursday, June 6 to 5:00 AM Friday, June 7
- 9:00 PM Monday, June 10 to 5:00 AM Tuesday, June 11
- 9:00 PM Tuesday, June 11 to 5:00 AM Wednesday, June 12
The following detours will be in place during the closures:
- MCGH-to-SR 347 detour: Motorists driving northeast on MCGH can use Maricopa Groves Parkway to access north- and southbound SR 347.
- SR 347-to-MCGH detour: Motorists driving southbound on SR 347 can travel east on Edison Road and follow the detour signs to access MCGH.
- SR 347 will remain open while the overnight closures on MCGH are in effect.
The full closure of MCGH at SR 347 is needed so the temporary structures and forms, which were used to provide support for the overpass while it was being built, can be removed.