Stay up-to-date on City of Maricopa news by signing up for City of Maricopa News, Events and Emergency Notifications!
City Confirms Three Positive Test Cases at Copper Sky Aquatic Center
Post Date:06/29/2020 6:56 PM
Return to full list >>
Maricopa, Arizona, June 29, 2020 Three lifeguards at Copper Sky Aquatic Center tested positive for COVID-19. City staff have been following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines for public pools, which includes physical distancing, wearing face coverings where possible, performing daily temperature checks, and staying home when exhibiting any symptoms. The staff involved have not worked since June 20.
“We do not believe the affected staff came in close contact without taking appropriate precautions with any of the public during any potential shift where they may have had COVID-19. Copper Sky Aquatic staff have taken great care to provide aquatic services within the state, federal and CDC guidelines for pool operation,” Community Services Director Nathan Ullyot said.
Copper Sky initiated several protocols to limit the spread of COVID-19 to the public including:
- Capping pool capacity to 100 people.
- Expanding the pool deck area into the adjacent lawn to allow for further physical distancing.
- Spacing pool deck furniture around the deck area and removing furniture to limit gatherings.
- Operating open swim in two-hour periods, allowing 30-minute closures to clean and disinfect the pool area.
- Following additional federal, state and CDC guidance regarding COVID-19.