The Building Safety division protects the safety of residents and visitors by administering Maricopa's adopted building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical codes, as well as energy, disabled access regulations, and local and state laws for construction and maintenance of commercial, industrial and residential buildings. These codes set forth the minimum requirements for public health, safety and general welfare through structural strength and stability.
Building Safety News
Frequently Asked Questions
What time can I schedule an inspection?
Building inspections are performed between 7:00am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Inspections may be requested 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on the VIP Portal.
What is required for my inspection?
- The job site shall be open for inspector entrance.
- The permit number and/or site address posted at site of work.
- The City-approved plans shall be made available at each inspection.
- Final pool inspections require an adult over 18 years of age to allow access to residence.
When is a Permit Required?
Permits are required for the following*:
- Decks and patio covers
- Sheds that exceed 200 sq. ft. total aggregate area on-site.
- Horse shades/barns
- Room additions
- Guest houses
- Garage additions
- Fences and walls
- Additions or modifications to electrical systems
- Additions or modifications to air systems
- Water heater installations
- Converting garage to a living area
- Demolition of any structure
- Remodeling (depending on the project)
- Window replacement when altering window size
- Swimming Pools and Spas
- Patio enclosures
- Gazebos or pergolas or ramadas that exceed 200 sq. ft. total aggregate area on-site.
- New single family homes
- Commercial Projects
- Fire sprinklers, alarms and alarm panels
- Solar Energy Systems
- Gas lines
*This list is not all inclusive; permits may be required for other activities.
What Time Can Construction Start?
Maricopa City Council approved a construction noise ordinance designed to implement restrictions on construction start and end times within the community in order to help preserve the residential characteristics by reducing noise within occupied areas.
As per Ordinance 408.5, noise due to construction, repair, remodeling, demolition, drilling, landscape maintenance, landscaping, lawn or yard work, wood cutting, including crafts and hobbies, or excavation work may be conducted between 5:00 a.m. through 8:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Also, a person may engage in or allow such activities at that person’s residence between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.